Thursday, October 11, 2007

Writing for Writing's Sake

You have to take writing as a skill...and like any skill it has to be developed through practice.

You can do some visualization because it works on athletes same as it works on you.

The best and easiest way is to practice writing...by hand.

What you do is get a piece of writing that is the kind you want. Ex: if you are wanting to write a novel then go get your favorite novel that is the genre you want to write and is extremely well written/done.

Now start copying it by hand.

Get a legal pad and start writing.

COpy the introduction, conclusion, and then I would focus on those chapters that resonated the most with you. The chapters you found most interesting, compelling, and emotionally gripping.

Because those are the authors best work within that book.

This will get you the practice you desire without a bunch of extraneous b.s. and will hone your skills on the best and brighest sections so to speak.

You can do great things.

It has been said, "There is at least 1 book in everyone".

So "Where is your book? What will it be about?"

I have written a book about health and fitness because it is something I have studied for over 10 years going back to my little league baseball days and middle school football.

The way I wrote it was by writing my table of contents first.

I wrote the title for each chapter (therefore what each chapter was about), it guided my writing for each, and I had the amount of pages I wanted the book to be total.

Then I just divided the total number of pages I wanted it to be by the number of chapters I had to give me a rough estimate of how many pages each chapter needed to be.

That is a basic guideline to get you started, keep you focused and give you direction. You are not bound by that number.

SOme of my chapters ran longer and some a little shorter.

The overall number of pages was about 20 more than I wanted at the completion of my writing.

I finished the book in 2 months. I get so tired of hearing people taking 10 years or more to write their books. THat is simply a lack of direction.

Have your plan in place and it will get done fast. That is the key.

So get to practicing and do some copying of great writing and/or some original writing every day!


Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: